Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Austin is one year old!


Austin turned one year old on August 24! We are thrilled to report that he had a fun and love-filled birthday. We celebrated with 77 of our friends and family members in our backyard and had a wonderful time. Austin got to try his first piece of cake and he loved it, but mostly he enjoyed spending time with all of his favorite people. We spent 11 months thinking about and planning for this party. When I said that we promised him a big party at his bedside in the hospital last September I was not trying to be dramatic. At that time, we were not given a lot of reason to hope that Austin would be here with us to see his first birthday. So when we made that promise it was a way for us to hold on to something positive in the future. But in my heart I always knew we'd have this party and celebrate this wonderful day with all of the people that supported us and helped us through that horrible time. And here he is, Mr. One Year Old, doing so great and right now making his way across the dining room floor to get into his brothers' toys. (So far he is rolling across the floor, not quite crawling yet, but getting around just the same!) Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to all who came to the party or made a donation and marked this occasion with us. I guess to some a baby's first birthday party is not that big of a deal but to us this was one of the most important days of our lives. Hope to see you all at his 2nd birthday party next year!

2 comments:

Jody Howes said...

My husband just found your blog and we were both in tears. We have a son Carter 1 yr old who was born with the exact same conidtion as Austin. We are currently seeing Dr. Yasmin Khakoo at Sloan Kettering. We live in Charlotte NC, but were referred to her and thought it was best to go there. We have learned to take it day by day and enjoy every moment with him. We are actually leaving for NY on Tuesday to have an MRI done of Carter brain and spine. We haven't had one done of the spine yet and are nervous.We are ready for the news good or bad.Thanks for sharing your story,it is great to know we aren't alone.

JenK said...

Jody, I am sorry I didn't see this until today! I hope everything went well in New York. We also saw Dr. Khakoo in Dallas at the Nevus Outreach conference. I have been told that she is one of the most experienced neurologists in the country as far as NCM. You didn't mention if Carter has hydrocephalus or not? Have you talked with Mark or Kathy at Nevus Outreach? Thank you so much for your post! That is the whole reason I started this blog, I was very alone when I found out about Austin and still I know of so few people with NCM. I would love to know how it went in NY and what you think of Dr. Khakoo. You can respond here or email me directly at jking72 at msn.com.